The Aims of Sport at Spa School are:
- Introduce students to a practical understanding of the importance of exercise to health and well being.
- Give them a variety of experiences in major indoor and outdoor games, gymnastics and dance.
- Develop competence and confidence in a range of physical activities.
- Provide opportunities to be creative.
- Promote positive attitudes towards an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Develop skills of planning, performing and evaluating.
- Develop social and inter-personal skills.
Students are taught a variety of self-management techniques. Since exercise is extremely beneficial to students with ASD, exercise programmes are often used as part of a behavioral management programme. Therapeutic exercises include jogging, cycling and trampolining and facilities for these are made available when necessary.
Spa School has a sports hall and a large playground area for ball games. We have recently acquired a full size trampoline which is used both during P.E. lessons and in the P.E. club. We also have cycles and scooters on site.
Students have access to a weekly after school club for sporting activities. The club aims to develop students’ interests in sport through enjoyment and to expose students to the concept of good sportsmanship. Students will also improve their fitness and co-ordination through participation.